Many of you who know my children know that my oldest is a critter lover. Any type of animal from dogs to snakes, lizards to chickens, and of course let's not forget the ones with extra legs that make us scream like spiders, crickets, etc. I have tried to be a good sport and gracious mom when it comes to keeping and showing me these creatures. I finally drew the line when he had destroyed most of my containers making homes for these "lost" ones by making holes in the lids. Not to mention the thought of storing food in what once held a dead bug was less than appealing and no longer an option.
Soooo......after being disappointed from containers and cheap dollar tree bug cages, my husband decided it was time to make a sturdy cage that would last and boy did he ever. I can't tell you how impressed I was with what he came up with. We have been talking about ways to earn extra money for the adoption and after seeing the lack of sturdy cages on the market, Bryce suggested we sell these
I think it's neat that the idea of providing a home for his bugs turns into helping provide a home for a child. Being our first and most difficult at times, it is moments like these that show how BIG his heart is.
We will be selling these "Critter Keepers" for $15 at an upcoming event called the Creative Hearts Marketplace at Open Door Church in Raleigh this Saturday, October 1st from 9:30 am - 3pm. This event actually helps support the adoption ministry at Open Door. Win-Win! Their address is 9801 Durant Rd., Raleigh, NC 27614. If you can't make the event, but would like a cage or know someone who does, just leave a comment or send me an e-mail and we'll be happy to get one to you.
loved it since i first saw it!! we def want one but will be out of town.
ReplyDeleteJust posted on my blog about the craft show!!
ReplyDeleteHere's the link:
http://theintentionalhome.blogspot.com/2011/09/raleigh-events-this-weekend-mark-your.html
What a great idea!!! I want one for my daughter, she will be 7 on November 18th and I would love to give her one of these to catch bugs. She loves them!!! I do not however, but the catcher we have doesn't have enough air holes and all the bugs she has caught have died. Su is a friend and I read about your adoption on her blog. :) I will try to come!!! but definitely want one!
ReplyDeleteKimberly! My daughter is also turning 7 on Nov 18th. That's just weird. Especially since I also read about the catchers on Su's Blog (well, email digest of her blog). Small world and all of that.
ReplyDelete-Amy W.
we MUST have one of these!! dylan is obsessed with his bug houses, but i just tossed a broken one (Again!) can we come by the house with money if we can't make it to the show?
ReplyDeleteThese are so SMART!!! They look like something you'd see in PB Kids. I am so impressed with your creativity to raise money for that precious girls God has in store for you.
ReplyDelete