Love is having her sit on my lap for 3 days straight and only falling asleep while wrapped in my arms.
Love is meeting another YWAM family and watching them glow as they became first time parents in Ethiopia.
Love is my heart melting to take home the other children at the Orphanage and praying they have forever families soon. A sibling set of 5 is waiting if anyone is interested.
Love is watching all the boys lined up on the potty across the hall from our Doctor's visit in Ethiopia. They asked Kena to come play and she told them, "you're beautiful but I'm not coming" according to the nannies. She's going to be a ham.
Love is mixing your husband's socks with our 8 yr old son's socks and then having him pack them for the trip. Thank goodness it wasn't the underwear I mixed up.
Love is taking her 7,000 miles across the world, half of it screaming from confusion, to live in our home and meet her siblings.
Love is getting a Java Chip Frappucino at Starbucks when landing in DC after passing up 3 not so appealing meals on the flight.
Love is crying at the United Airlines customer service desk after finding out our flight to Raleigh was cancelled due to weather and the best option was to drive home. Welcome honey, to the land of the FREE, let's strap you in a foreign object we call the car seat and make a 6 hour car ride home.
Love is Kena feeling sorry for her new parents and only crying at the beginning of the car ride.
Love is meeting your 3 siblings for the first time, each super excited and ready to play with her; then sighing with relief that it wasn't just going to be the three of us.
Love is 2 exhausted grandparents taking care of said 3 siblings while one of the grandparents had the Stomach flu...in an unfamiliar city and house.
Love is the best night's sleep
Love is watching our new daughter devour a HUGE bowl of grits and cry when it's gone because she must be southern at heart. Wait until we take you to the Flying Biscuit sweetheart. You will clean them out.
Love is now cherishing the homework time in the afternoon that I use to dread because it's time just with the older two.
Love is seeing my husband walk through the door from work.
Love is all the people helping us with meals as we get adjusted. One of our neighbors even made us an Ethiopian meal to make Kena feel right at home. Which is NOT easy. We've only been here 6 months, this neighborhood is such a blessing.
Love is devouring 2 Pumpkin Spice Lattes this week because they scream fall, which makes me happy. Hint: Don't know what to get new moms and newly adoptive moms - we all just need Starbuck's/ Caribou gift cards so we can stay happy and well caffeinated.
Love is letting the youngest 2 bang pots and spoons because it makes them both happy...at the same time.
Love is knowing when Kena is triggered by fear and starts melting. I keep whispering repeatedly "I love you Kena" each time she melts. Most recently it was her doctor's appointment where apparently door shutting is a trigger. I am reminded each time what life is like for her right now and what it use to be.
Love is loving a girl who loves her shoes; to the point of crying each time we take them off. Did I mention airport security and Doctor's offices were on the list of triggers?
Love is going to be a lot of sacrificing and giving up things I would normally do, but I am completely reassured it will be SO worth it. This is just like having a newborn except this one walks and talks Amharic. I was thankful to be reminded by a friend who adopted a little over a year ahead of us who has 5 children, that the daily grind of life and all that has to get done is a privilege. I didn't have to adopt, I "get to". I don't have to clean and cook for my kids, I "get to". I don't have to take them to the doctor, I "get to". I don't have to pack lunches everyday, I "get to". The list goes on and on. So when I'm overwhelmed I just keep telling myself, I "get to".
Love is: Feeling comforted by so many of your prayers during this journey. Knowing we were loved and supported spoke louder than anything. We couldn't bring home this precious gift without you and are so grateful for each and everyone of you.
Lots of Love happening
Welcome to the US and the Corbett family Kena Rose!
Children's House International Orphanage in Addis
Ceremony cutting a special bread they made for us and another family adopting their son.
Coffee and Popcorn were of course part of the ceremony. She was also given her Ethiopian church dress as a present which we got in two bigger sizes as she grows.
So happy for you family, and thankful to be getting to know your family and serving the Lord together at Mercy Hill. Y'all are amazing, and we are overjoyed for you and the blessings of our great Father!
ReplyDeleteoh my word. . can't stop crying. oh too much to say. we need a long walk and talk. The first time we took Daniel to the dr and the door shut, it was like a caged animal. . he was running around screaming, trying to open the window and get out, and he was soo big that I could not pick him up. oh, peace to Kena's heart. And the other 5 Corbetts. I will say a prayer after I hit "Publish". Really.
ReplyDeleteSo happy your sweet girl is HOME!!
ReplyDeleteI watched a documentary yesterday called "The Rise of the Southern Biscuit" and the Flying Biscuit was one of the places featured. Too funny!!
Love is watching your family grow from 5 to 6! What an awesome witness of Christ's love for us!!
ReplyDeletelove love love...thank you for sharing
ReplyDelete"Love" the way you shared this! How sweet! We are so happy for all of you & can hardly wait to meet Kena.
ReplyDelete